Guest post by Lilly Andrews…
Weighing not more than 3 kilograms, the world’s smallest dogs are capable of going through small holes and cracks without getting noticed. And because of their diminutive size, they get hugged too tightly or easily stepped on. Aside from those things, toy dogs are typically expensive, especially when they are purebred. It’s also difficult for them to walk together with big dogs, and they attract thieves.Two factors that make toy dog breeds stand out are their small size and irresistibly cute charms. But don’t get fooled. When it comes to caring for dogs, sizes don’t matter. Although these little pooches are fun to keep at home, they have more than it takes to become a big source of headaches to their owners.
How challenging are toy dogs as pets?
A lot of dog experts and veterinarians say that it is costly to take care of toy dog breeds. The primary concerns point to the dog’s health, protection, and even its training, and every owner has to be aware of such challenges.
Concerns about Health
Small dogs can suffer from certain illnesses that don’t usually affect bigger canines. They are susceptible to the following health problems:
- Brachycephalic Airway Syndrome. This is a sickness that typically affects dogs with flat faces and short noses. This condition compresses the respiratory system, causing the dog to have difficulties in breathing.
- Ectropion. An abnormality that is common in flat-faced, short-nosed pooches, Ectropion causes the eyelid’s margin to move outward, and this results in the exposure of tissue in the inner lids.
- Homeostatic imbalance. This happens when the dogs are exposed to extreme temperature levels. They can’t handle too hot or too cold places, and since they have small bodies, they don’t have enough insulation to keep comfortable.
- Hypoglycemia. When a puppy is stressed, its blood sugar level goes down. It becomes weak and inactive. If not given the proper medical attention, it can result in a coma.
- Patellar Luxation. A condition that occurs when the kneecap or patella gets dislocated from the thigh bone. In most cases, it affects toy dogs.
Those are just a few of the health problems you may encounter if you’re taking care of a toy dog. You should also know that small dog breeds can suffer from genetic dental and joint conditions. However, they won’t hamper the dog’s development if it regular walks and plays outside.
Concerns about Protection
Being small gives them the freedom to do certain things that big dogs can’t do. One example is fitting through small openings; toy dogs can easily get out from your premises and end up losing them. Once they are outside, they can be attacked by bigger dogs or be stolen by muggers. These are the reasons why you have to make sure that your pet is safe in your care.
Another circumstance is when there are children. Kids tend to giggle at the sight of toy dogs, and this will result in mishandling the pet. To avoid this from happening, it is best to be with the dog while the youngsters are around. And if you’re taking care of bigger pets, don’t let the toy dogs stay with them unless you have trained your furry friends to get along with each other.
Concerns about Training
There are cases when toy dogs are difficult to train. They have big and demanding personalities that should not be tolerated. They can take advantage of their charms to get what they want, and that results in spoiling them.
This is the reason why training the dog is important. Your pet should be aware of the rules you set in the house, and it should acknowledge that you’re the strict yet considerate boss. But remember not to physically hurt the dog if it has done something wrong. In cases when it gets too difficult for you, sending the little pooch in a training camp would be ideal.
Now, how challenging is it to take care of toy dogs? Perhaps, it’s going to test your patience, though you know it’s going to be worth it. There’s no use denying that toy dogs bring so much delight, entertainment, happiness, and love. But they need your commitment as their owner. If you decide to get such type of pooch, then be prepared for the responsibilities that come along with it.