- 05 Dec 2017
- Corey Smith
Guest post by Cindy Aldridge of www.ourdogfriends.org
You’ve checked off every name on your holiday list — except one. What will you get for that friend or family member who has everything? You start by looking at what they love — not what they have. If you have one, or several, dog-lovers on your nice list, you can get pretty creative with unique gifts for humans and pets. Dog lovers take a great deal of pride in showing off their breeds, including their dogs in everyday activities and making sure Fido feels like part of the family. Here are a few tips to help you shop for the ultimate dog lover in your life.\
- Culinary Canine: Do you know a dog lover who also loves playing in the kitchen? A gourmet dog food cookbook paired with a basket of ingredients is a great way to combine their two loves. With all the recipes available online, you can even DIY your own cookbook that gives your gift a special touch. Using design elements that appeal specifically to your friend and their pup, this one-of-a-kind gift celebrates holidays by promoting happy, healthy lifestyles for the whole family.
- In Your Honor: When natural disaster strikes, like a hurricane, flood or earthquake, humans aren’t the only victims — dogs and cats suffer, too. Many local and national humane societies and animal rescues become the frontline rescuers for pets displaced by disaster, which is why many increase their donation asks during these distressing times. If there is a cause or a breed close to your dog lover’s heart, consider donating to one of those organizations in honor of their pooch.
- Canine Couture: While clothing gifts can sometimes be hit or miss — decking your dog lover out in canine-themed clothes can be a fun, humorous way to celebrate their love for animals this holiday season. Whether it’s a hoodie with a corgi, pajamas with Frenchies or a T-shirt with a pug face, your dog owner will wear this gift with a smile.
- GPS Tracker: A true dog lover puts their pup’s well-being first; showing you do, too, can be a really distinguished holiday gift. A dog GPS tracker can put your loved one’s mind at ease if they have a pooch that has a tendency to hop the backyard fence or bolt through the front door. By being able to pinpoint their dog’s location in real time, this is a gift that is on the cutting-edge of new pet tech.
- Pet Home Remodeling: Does your dog lover have a curious pet? Installing a pet peek window in their backyard fence is a great way to let Fido get a glimpse of the world around him. For the more active animals, a doggie door is an outstanding gift to consider. This will not only help your friend’s dog get more exercise but can also help them manage bad pet behaviors, like excessive chewing or indoor bathroom accidents.
- Unique Doggie Decor: From mugs to picture frames to doormats, websites like com have endless types of handmade specialty pet-themed decor. You can choose a gift that’s holiday-specific, like a stocking shaped like a bone, or a timeless piece of art, like a custom painted portrait of your loved one’s pet.
When you recognize the importance of a friend’s furry family member, you’re giving a gift that says a lot more than happy holidays. True dog lovers enjoy including their pups in all kinds of activities, so giving them a way to include Fido in their holiday gift-giving provides a deeper, more meaningful sense of joy. With so many options available online and in specialty stores, tapping into your friend or family member’s special relationship with their pet deepens their special relationship with you.